What Are Different Types of Moving Companies
Long-distance movers have the ability to move customers from most any area of the country to the location of their choice. They will have different rates depending on how quickly the move needs to be handled and how many items are involved.
Some moving companies only operate within a certain local area. They often charge hourly or daily rates instead of a bulk charge, like many long-distance movers do.
Some moving companies specialize in entire businesses. They have the capacity to move a large amount of belonging and have fairly quick turnaround times in order to make sure the company is quickly back up and running. They also typically provide more packing material and organizational help, such as assembly and disassembly.
International moving companies
International moving companies can help individuals, families and corporations move their belongings overseas. They are usually well-versed in regular tasks, like packing and moving, as well as with dealing with customs and immigraiton status.
What Features We Think Matter Most in a Moving Company
We think it is important to work with a moving company that provides excellent customer service and can respond to a client’s needs quickly and efficiently.
- Accessibility: How easy it is to get in touch with someone at a moving company? Do they respond quickly to questions and concerns?
- Methods of contact: How many methods of contact do they offer? In case of emergency you may want to consider a mover that has multiple ways of connection, like an office phone, a cell phone and email.
- In person visits: Some moving companies have a brick and mortar office so you can visit and consult with the movers. This is a great option for customers who may have a lot of questions and need details from the movers prior to move date. Other companies offer communication over the phone and online, which may be the preferred method for consumers who want information faster.
Moving companies offer a wide variety of pricing options depending on the services you are looking for.
- Pricing: Some companies charge per box while others charge per weight, mileage, or other. Be sure to take pricing structure into consideration to determine which is the best option for your move.
- Discounts: Look for companies that offer discounts for various reasons. Reasons could entail being a repeat customer or flexible move dates.
- Moving materials: It can be an added convenience when a moving company can also supply moving materials, such as packing boxes, tape, bubble wrap or more. Be sure to ask for the cost per item so you are not caught off guard.
Movers can use many different sizes of trucks to accomplish a move. Depending on the size and degree of your move, different trucks might appeal to you.
- Vans: Some movers use small vans to accomplish smaller moves or to move a few specialized items. These are usually safe and less expensive.
- Mid-size trucks: Mid-size trucks can be great for handling residential and corporate moves, especially if the move is long-distance as they use less gas.
- Semi-truck: Semi-trucks, while usually expensive, could be the best option if you are moving a large volume of belongings across a significant distance. It’s important to consider that if opting for multiple mid-size trucks, the gas expense will likely be a considerable expense. However, the chances of items being damaged can be greater in a large truck if items are not packed tightly in place.
Large corporate moves require quick delivery otherwise the company will risk losing money during the transition. However, some moves allow flexibility if you’re able to pack belongings for a move and wait a few weeks for their arrival. If this is the case, you may decide to use a portable moving container or storage company instead. No matter what type of deadline you’re dealing with, here is some information to consider when searching for a reliable moving company:
- Knowledge: The moving company should have expertise in the type of move you are making whether residential or commercial.
- Personal interaction: We suggest working with a company that provides in-home office estimates and other personal touches that give you confidence in their dedication to your move.
- Resources: The moving company may offer you additional resources in your move, from packing to unloading to special item handling or insurance claims.
In the event your belongings are damaged in the move or go missing, be sure to ask about a claims processes. To protect yourself, we recommend asking the following:
- Staff: Does the company have dedicated staff to help you with any issues, either via a 1-800 phone number or email?
- Waiting time: How long does it take to process claims?
- Warranties: What is the movers basic coverage and how to opt for insurance of valuable items.